The UI Board of Directors consists of the following members:
- Marie Söderberg, Professor and Chairman of the Board
- Marie Cronqvist, Associate Professor
- Johan Eriksson, Professor
- Julius Liljeström, Assistant under-secretary
- Isabell Schierenbeck, Professor
- Annika Ström Melin, Journalist
- Gunnar Wetterberg, Author
- Annika Winsth, Chief Economist Nordea
The parent body of UI is Utrikespolitiska samfundet (The Swedish Society for International Affairs), a non-profit organization. The society consists of some 300 recognized experts on foreign affairs and international relations, appointed for an indefinite time.
At its annual meeting, Utrikespolitiska samfundet reviews and decides on UI's activities and finances, and elects the respective boards of directors of UI and Utrikespolitiska samfundet.