Karina Shyrokykh is an Associate Research Fellow at the Swedish Institute of International Affairs. She specializes in EU’s external democracy promotion and autocratization dynamics in the post-Soviet countries.
Karina was a postdoctoral fellow in Ludwig-Maximilian University Munich, Germany; a visiting researcher in ETH Zurich and Stockholm University; a research assistant in Stockholm University and Uppsala University.
Karina holds a PhD degree in political science from Ludwig-Maximilian University Munich, Germany and an MA degree in political science from Stockholm University. Her recent publications focus on EU’s instruments of external human rights promotion, international public administration networks, and autocratization of Eastern Partnership countries.
Areas of expertise:
European Union’s foreign policy, human rights, post-Soviet countries, European Neighbourhood Policy
- 2020. "The Eastern Partnership and Russia in the post-COVID world", New Eastern Europe Issue 4 2020.
- 2020. Review of Sophie Falsini's "The Euromaidan's Effect on Civil Society. Why and How Ukrainian Social Capital Increased After the Revolution of Dignity", Europe-Asia Studies.
- 2020. "How Effective is EU’s Human Rights Persuasion in its Post-Soviet Neighbourhood? Insight from a statistical assessment", Journal of Contemporary European Studies.
- 2019.“EU rules beyond its borders: the policy-specific effects of transgovernmental networks and EU agencies in the European neighbourhood,” Journal of Common Market Studies.
- 2019. Transferring the Acquis through EU Agencies: The Case of the European Neighbourhood Policy Countries. In The External Dimension of EU agencies and EU bodies: Law and Policy (eds. H. Hofmann, E. Vos & M. Chamon).
- 2019. “Policy-specific effects of transgovernmental cooperation: A statistical assessment across the EU’s post-Soviet neighbours,” Journal of European Public Policy, 26:1, 149-168.
- 2018. “The Evolution of the Foreign Policy of Ukraine: External Actors and Domestic Factors,” Europe-Asia Studies, 70:5, pp. 832-850.
- 2018. “Compromising on values? Human rights pressure and competing interests of the European Union in the former Soviet states,” European Foreign Affairs Review 23:1, pp. 119-141.
- 2017. “Effects and side effects of European Union assistance on the former Soviet republics,” Democratization 24:4, pp. 651-669.
- 2017. “The Role of EU Agencies in the Acquis Transfer: The Case of the European Neighbourhood Policy Countries,” TARN Working Paper Series 14/2017 (online: 1 November 2017, pp. 1-22)